Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Scrapbook of the Niwot Home and Garden Club
Object Name Scrapbook
Catalog Number 1999.008.002
Scope & Content Contains lists of club members from 1952 through 1953, meeting programs, club yearbooks, newspaper and magazine clippings related to club activities and gardening tips; scrap, typed poems by club members, and photographs of club members and club activities. Arranged chronologically from November 1952 to June 1953.
Admin/Biographical History The Niwot Garden Club was founded in 1938. It was limited to 25 members, and a prospective member had to come to three meetings in a row before they could join. Members who missed three meetings in a row were dropped from the club. The club belonged to the National Federation of Garden Clubs, and competed in flower shows.
One of its major projects was the care of the Niwot Home and Garden Club Park, located on land donated by the railroad east of the railroad line in Niwot. The park contained a shelter house and rose garden. Water for the park came from a well dug with a post-hole digger, and electricity came from a telephone pole in the park. Income from a telephone mounted on the pole went to the club -- $2.50 a month. The park was eventually taken back by the railroad, who built a warehouse on the site.
In later years, club members got older, and met more infrequently. Finally, in November 1998, the surviving club members decided to discontinue the monthly meetings, and meet annually for a fun day.
Notes Condition: Scrapbook has wooden covers, and metal rings holding it together.
Date Range from 1952
Date Range to 1953
Size One 12" x 14 1/2" scrapbook
Subject Heading Gardens & Yards
Organizations
Women
Niwot